Sunday 1 November 2015

What's My Age Again?

For the past few months, whenever the subject of votes for sixteen-year-olds has come up, I’ve been one of the people turned to. I’m seventeen, so I couldn’t vote in the General Election, but I was sixteen at the time of the Referendum so did vote then. If I hadn’t had the opportunity to vote, I don’t know if I’d have become interested enough in politics during the GE to join in May. I have told Tim Farron this, and he has repeated my words almost exactly in the Q&A at Federal Conference. I am satisfied that there will not be another election that affects me that I won’t be able to vote in.

So, although I’m not eighteen until February, I figured this was an end to it. Then I moved into Glasgow. It’s only been a problem twice, but it’s just been loaded with irony. I can’t get into places. The first time was the Dialectics pub crawl and I tried to get into Oran Mor at about midnight. I got back to my flat that night and one of my flatmates – also seventeen – was surprised that I didn’t know under-eighteens couldn’t get into pubs after ten. The very fact that I didn’t even know this should have been a clue that I’m not likely to cause trouble in a pub.

The second time was tonight (Halloween). I went to pre-drinks at a flat shared by a couple of debaters (where I didn’t actually drink) then we headed down to Hive, which is the nightclub attached to the Glasgow University Union. Waited in the queue, dressed as a Power Ranger, then when I got to the front was told that I couldn't get in tonight. Over eighteens only. Despite the fact that I got in on Thursday and am quite possibly the most sober teenager in the entire city?

On the way home (I didn’t really feel like going anywhere else), I thought about these two things that I’m three months too young to do. The main reason usually given for the voting age is that under eighteens can’t be trusted to be responsible enough to vote with a level head. So, does that mean the reason I can’t go into a nightclub is that I can’t be trusted to be responsible? I really don’t think anyone is going to Hive tonight with the intention of being responsible.


Does it mean nothing to anyone that the thing I’ve always complained about not being able to do is vote? I was out canvassing in Blantyre this afternoon. I am educated about politics. It makes no sense that adults who vote Labour because their parents voted Labour should get to vote and I don’t. There is nothing wrong with not paying attention to politics, and there is nothing wrong with drinking, but I read about politics every day and the most I’ve ever drank is two sips of whatever Doug had on Thursday. I should be allowed to vote, and I should be allowed into Hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment